- University of Texas at Austin, M.A. in English/Creative Writing (terminal degree), 1988.
- Yale University, M. Div., December 1982.
- Vassar College, B.A. cum laude, Psychology, May 1978.
- School of Medicine, The University of Novi Sad, Vojvodina, Yugoslavia, 1975-76
- Infidelities: Stories of War and Lust. New York: HarperPerennial, paperback, Sept., 2005
- April Fool’s Day, a novel. New York: HarperCollins, hard cover, September 2004. Reprint, HarperCollins Perennial, paper, March 2006; published also in England, Switzerland, Poland, Hungary, Croatia, Spain, Turkey, Italy, Russia, and Japan.
- Plum Brandy: Croatian Journeys, nonfiction. White Pine Press. 5/2003
- Grob u Clevelandu, stories in Croatian, Zagreb, Croatia: Meandar Press, 2003
- Stepmother Tongue: Stories in English as a Second Language, edited with Robert Shapard. White Pine Press, 2002
- Salvation and Other Disasters, stories. St. Paul: Graywolf Press, paperback, 5/1998. Appeared in Croatia, Meandar Press, as Grimizne usne
- Writing Fiction Step by Step, textbook. Cincinnati: Story Press, 1997.
- Yolk, stories. St. Paul: Graywolf Press, original paperback1995.
- Apricots from Chernobyl, narrative essays. St. Paul: Graywolf Press, 1995
- Fiction Writer’s Workshop, textbook. Cincinnati: Story Press, F&W . 4/1993. Second Edition, expanded, Story Press, February 2008 Appeared also in Indonisian, Croatian, and Bulgarian translations.
Areas of Expertise
- Fiction & nonfiction writing.
- Former Yugoslavia—culture, politics, and history.
- English as a second language.
- Professor. Condordia University, Montreal, Canada. July 1, 2009 -
- Professor of English. Pennsylvania State University, University Park. M.F.A. Program. Fiction and Nonfiction Writing. 2001-2009
- Associate Professor. University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Faculty. Bard College, NY. Multidisciplinary MFA program. 1999.
- Faculty. Freie Universitaet, Berlin. Summer 2002. Nonfiction writing.
- Fiction Instructor, Breadloaf Writers’ Conference, Middlebury, VT, 2002 & 2006
- Core Faculty. Summer Literary Seminars, 1998-present.
- Creative Writing, Introduction to Literature, English Composition, and English Instructor. Nebraska Indian Community College, Santee Sioux Campus. 8/89-7/91.
Fellowships and Awards.
- Black Mountain Institute Fellowship, Michael Saltman Fellow, Las Vegas, NV, 2007/08
- Fulbright Senior Research Fellowship, St. Petersburg University, Russia, Spring 2006
- U.S. National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Fiction, 2002 & 1991
- New York Public Library Center for Scholars and Writers Fellowship, 2001/02
- Kozarac Award for Best Prose by a Slavonian Writer, Vinkovci Festival, Croatia, 10/2000
- 1999 American Book Award from the Before Columbus Foundation (Salvation)
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, Fiction, 99
- Whiting Writer's Award, for fiction and nonfiction, 97
- Finalist, Paterson Fiction Prize (Salvation), 1999
- O.Henry Awards: Prize Stories, 1998; "Crimson" included in the anthology
- Tennesee Williams Fellowship at the University of the South, Fall 99.
- Best American Essays, listed as distinguished (06, 01, 00, 99, 98, 96, 95, 94)
- Best American Poetry '97, Scrinber, eds. Lehman and Tate, "Shadow," 8/97
- Three Pushcart Prizes, 95 - 98
- Rieveschl Award for Scholarly or Creative Work, University of Cincinnati, 1997
- Winner of Raconteur International Competition, The European MagAZine, 4/28/95
- Richard Margolis Prize for Socially Important Writing (Apricots), 95
- Friends of American Writers, Second Place Award (Apricots), 95
- PEN/Hemingway Award for First Fiction, one of the top five nominees, (Yolk), 95
- Midland Prize for Literature, finalist (Yolk), 95
- Paterson Prize for Literature, finalist (Yolk), 95
- Prairie Schooner Readers' Choice Award, 1993
- South Dakota Arts Council Fellowship, 1992
- Faculty of the Year, Nebraska Indian Community College, 90/91
- Ingram Merrill Foundation Award, 90
- 1989 Cohen Award, the best story in Ploughshares, Vol. 14
- Ludwig Vogelstein Foundation Grant, fiction, 89
- Provincetown Fine Arts Work Center Fellowship, 88/89
- AWP Awards Series in the Novel, first runner-up, 88
- W.K. Rose Fellowship in the Creative Arts, Vassar, 82/83.
- Specialist Reviewer for the Fulbright Commission (in creative writing), 2007/08, 2008/09
- Judge for the Cinseros Memorial Foundation Awards for Texas Writers, November, 2007
- Judge for Mid-American Review, nonfiction, 2006
- Consulting Editor for Mid-American Review and Absinthe, 2002 - present
- Guest Editor, New Letters. War Stories, 1/95
- Panelist for Massachusetts Arts Council in Fiction and Nonfiction, April 2004
- Juried the final round of Scholastic National Writing Competition for Young Writers, 2003.
- Judged Literature Competition for National Society of Arts and Letters, ages 18-30, 1998
- Panelist for the National Endowment for the Arts in Fiction and Nonfiction, 1999